Dr David West
MB ChB (Leeds) DMRD FRCR (London)
specialty Consultant Interventional Radiologist
SPECIAL EXPERTISE IN Vascular Interventional Radiology + Treatment of Varicose Veins
Dr David West is internationally renowned for his work in developing minimally invasive vein treatments, having gained experience with the great pioneers in the field, Anders Lunderquist in Sweden and Duncan Irving in London. He performs over a thousand operations each year at University Hospital of North Staffordshire and has undertaken over 2,000 minimally invasive varicose vein procedures.
His other clinical interests over the last 20 years as a Consultant have been the development of image guided minimally invasive alternative treatments for a range of disorders including peripheral vascular disease, kidney stones, gallstones, fibroids, trauma and other acute bleeding situations. All these involve the precise and delicate manipulation of small and flexible tubes (catheters) and other specialised instruments guided by ultrasound and other modern imaging techniques. This experience has been vital to the success of his varicose vein work and enables him to confidently catheterize and treat even the most challenging of veins which others would manage with traditional surgery.
Dr West was one of the very first doctors in the UK to train in the EVLA (click for link) technique, learning from leading experts in the US including the pioneer of the endovenous laser, Dr Robert Min, Interventional Radiologist at Cornell University, New York. David has vast experience of this treatment. This experience and the recognition by his peers of his expertise has led to him regularly being invited to lecture on the subject at national and international medical conferences. He has written several chapters on the management of vein (venous) insufficiency in major radiology textbooks and many articles in medical journals.
As a luminary teacher for Diomed Ltd and Surgilas Ltd he has trained vascular specialists around the UK in EVLA and associated procedures. For the last two years he has been a faculty member of the prestigious European School of Interventional Radiology and the Venous Day of the Charing Cross Symposium teaching EVLA techniques to doctors from Europe, the Middle East and Australia.
You can read Dr West's blog posts here.
- University Hospital North Staffordshire
education + posts
- Consultant Interventional Radiologist University Hospital North Staffordshire
- Lecturer Univesity of London Guy's Hospital
- Senior Registrar University Hospital North Staffordshire
- Registrar in Radiology University Hospital North Staffordshire
- SHO Surgery East Birmingham Hospital
- Leeds University Medical School
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe
- British Society of Interventional Radiology (Council Member 2007-09)
- Vascular Society
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Royal College of Radiologists
- European School of Interventional Radiology (Faculty member 2008-09)
- Initial Consultation (Including Colour Duplex Ultrasound Scan) £250
- EVLA (Laser Treatment) One Leg £1,895
- EVLT (Laser Treatment) Both Legs £2,395
- Initial Follow-up Consultation including Foam Sclerotherapy Injections £200
- Foam Sclerotherapy Injections (as primary treatment) £500 per session
- Thread Vein injections (Microsclerotherapy) £300 per session
- Home or Hotel Consultation + Scan £1,000
- Cancellation Policy: deposits taken prior to consultation and treatment are non-refundable
insurance company recognition
- UNAT Direct