What is microneedling?
Microneedling is a skin treatment that harnesses your skin’s natural healing processes. Your consultant cosmetic dermatologist applies a derma roller covered with fine needles to make multiple tiny punctures in your skin. Each hole triggers a wound healing response to regenerate and repair the skin cells. The body increases collagen and elastin production improving your skin’s tone, texture and appearance.
You may notice an improvement in your skin following one treatment. But a programme of sessions will achieve optimum cosmetic results.
What can microneedling treat?
Microneedling treats a range of skin problems including skin ageing, scarring and sun damage on the face and body. It can be a great skin ageing treatment in people with olive, black or Asian skins because, unlike peels and dermabrasion, it is less likely to cause pigmentation problems. Microneedling can be used to treat:
- Fine lines and wrinkles.
- Dull and lifeless skin.
- Superficial scarring from acne or chicken pox.
- Pigmentation problems, sun damage and age spots.
- Stretch marks.
Your recovery from microneedling treatment
There’s minimal downtime following microneedling treatment. You can get straight back to work and normal activities. You may notice a little redness and pin-prick bruising, but these settle rapidly over a few days.
Try not to apply make-up or touch your face for 24 hours after treatment. Your skin may be a little sensitive, apply sunblock and avoid strong sunlight.
You may notice that your skin looks brighter and fresher after the procedure, but the increased elastin and collagen production continues after treatment. You’ll be able to see the full cosmetic results after around three months.
Why choose The Medical Chambers Kensington for microneedling?
The Medical Chambers Kensington provides professional, safe and effective care in a state-of-the-art Kensington Clinic.
- Consultant-delivered service: All patients attending the clinic for microneedling see a highly-qualified consultant cosmetic dermatologist, with extensive knowledge, experience and skills.
- Treatment you can trust: Our consultants use the very latest microneedling technology to achieve safe, reliable and effective results.
- Legacy: Over ten years The Medical Chambers Kensington has built a reputation for excellence and the highest standards of service and professionalism.
- Comprehensive care: With a team of world-leading consultants from different specialties under one roof, if you need to see another specialist we can arrange for rapid referral to a trusted expert.
- Bespoke treatment programmes: The Medical Chambers Kensington believes in an individual approach to skincare. Your consultant will carefully assess your skin and your goals before recommending treatment to enhance your natural beauty.
What happens in microneedling treatment?
Your consultant will carefully assess your skin before treatment and apply topical anaesthetic to reduce any discomfort.
The microneedling wand is passed over the treatment area. The wand is covered with microneedles that make multiple punctures in the skin. The tiny holes stimulate your wound healing response. The body increases natural collagen and elastin production to repair the cells making your skin plumper, smoother and more radiant.
Preparation for microneedling
Preparation before microneedling can reduce bruising and speed up your recovery. We recommend:
- Stopping alcohol for 24 hours before and after treatment.
- Discussing any medication with your GP or your consultant. Aspirin, anti-inflammatories and some supplements like Vitamin E can increase your risk of bruising.
What are the complications of microneedling treatment?
Microneedling is very safe and there are few side-effects. You may notice:
- Redness and pinprick bruising: this is usually minimal and settles over a few days.
- Infection: Your consultant may prescribe antibiotic creams to prevent infection.
- Pigmentation problems: Microneedling rarely causes pigmentation problems. Your consultant will discuss the risks, particularly if you have olive, black or Asian skin, so that you can make an informed choice.