The Medical Chambers Header Image

Ophthalmology (Eyes)

It's perfectly possible that you don't know what an Ophthalmologist does. Many people don't. An Ophthalmologist examines, diagnoses and treats diseases and injuries in and around the eye. He or she is a medically trained Doctor who usually acts both as a physician and as a surgeon, can prescribe a wide range of medicines, carry out eye surgery and will often work in an Eye Hospital or the Eye Department within a Hospital as well as in a Clinic such as The Medical Chambers Kensington. So an Ophthalmologist is often called an Eye Doctor.

You should regularly visit your Eye Doctor as he or she will be able to detect an eye problem in its early stages, which will make treatment easier and much more likely to be successful. So you should take proper care of your eyes just as you would take care of other parts of your body. It is good practice to get your eyes checked every 2 years and every year if you wear contact lenses. Here are a few tips about what to look for. Apologies for the play on words. 

Contact Lenses  You should take your contact lenses out immediately if your eyes are irritated when you wear them. It is always a good idea to have a pair of glasses with you as a plan B.

Conjunctivitis  This condition is also known as pink eye and is one of the most common eye problems. Acute conjunctivitis is redness and soreness (inflammation) of the clear covering (conjunctiva) which coats the white of the eye and lines the inside of your eye lids. It can come on relatively quickly and usually lasts only a short time. It can clear up on its own, but also often needs treatment and you should see an Ophthalmologist if it lasts.

Eye Surgery  Have you considered Laser Eye Surgery? You will be interested to know that approximately 75% of all spectacle wearers are suitable for this type of surgery. You need to have healthy eyes and be over 18 years old.

You can use eye drops to moisten your eyes if they get dry. However, if your eyes are irritated for more than 2 days you should see an Eye Doctor because it could be the start of something more serious.