MaterniT21 and MaterniT21 PLUS Tests
At The Medical Chambers Kensington, we like to offer you the choice. We understand that not everyone needs or wants the same information from a Prenatal DNA test. The range of NIPTs we offer you has grown, and now includes MaterniT21 and MaterniT21 PLUS.
One of the most comprehensive non-invasive prenatal tests (NIPT) for detecting fetal chromosomal abnormalities is currently MaterniT21 PLUS. However you can choose to have a simpler version of it, MaterniT21, which is the same in scope as the Harmony test.
What MaterniT21 tests for:
What MaterniT21 PLUS tests for:
What are the advantages of MaterniT21 and MaterniT21 PLUS
- One of the fastest turnaround times at 5 calendar days from arrival of the blood sample in the laboratory. This means we can usually have your report ready within 7 days of your blood draw.
- The lowest failure to get a result rate, at 0.9%, compared to most other NIPTs. So less risk of needing a redraw.
- They can be performed from 9 weeks of pregnancy and have the lowest non-reportable rate (2.09%) of all NIPTs done at 9 weeks. However we do recommend you wait until 10 weeks as this really diminishes the risk of an inconclusive result.
- An easy to understand report, with a “positive” or “negative” result: a “positive” means there is an abnormal finding, which is described in the report. A “negative” report means nothing abnormal has been found.
- Over a million MaterniT21 and MaterniT21 PLUS have been performed worldwide so a wealth of experience and data has been collected and reviewed over the years.
- Available for multiple pregnancies, with over 30,000 twins and triplets tested (worldwide) so far. This is currently the only NIPT to screen triplets and higher multiples.
- MaterniT21 PLUS offers a comprehensive, highly accurate screening, at an affordable price. It tests for the same conditions as MaterniT21 and Harmony, PLUS 7 microdeletions known to be linked to specific syndromes.
Accuracy and limitations of MaterniT21 and MaterniT21 PLUS
Just like other non-invasive DNA tests, MaterniT21 and MaterniT21 PLUS test do not negate the need for the 12-week Nuchal scan or the 20 week scan, which allow close inspection of your baby's anatomy to give information no blood test can provide.
Pregnancy management decisions should not be based solely on the result of this test, or of any other NIPT. All NIPTs are screening tests, not diagnostic tests, and are not meant to be the sole test on which to base decisions about your pregnancy. They are now a reliable alternative to more invasive tests but any positive findings need to be confirmed by other means (such as CVS, amniocentesis…) as well as further genetic counselling.
The rates of non-reportable results, insignificant findings and false-positive results are extremely low for both MaterniT21 and Maternit21 PLUS. However, results can never be considered 100% accurate; and some abnormalities can go undetected even with the most up-to-date tests.
You can find more detailed information on the MaterniT21 PLUS™ test, on the website of Integrated Genetics.
GENOME FLEX: A new option for MaterniT21 PLUS patients
If you have chosen to have MaterniT21 PLUS (or have recently had this test), you may be interested to know that should you require more information later on in your pregnancy either for reassurance or because of new findings or concerns, you will be able to have your initial blood sample analysed for all chromosomes, just like MaterniT GENOME. The laboratory keeps your sample until the end of your pregnancy and you will therefore get your report within a few days, at a time when you might be worried. This is only available if you choose MaterniT21 PLUS and is a reassuring option for those who do not want to choose MaterniT GENOME to start with.