What are anti-wrinkle injections?
Anti-wrinkle injections relax your facial muscles and smooth lines and wrinkles to refresh your appearance and restore a youthful glow. They are injections of the chemical botulinum toxin that blocks the communication between muscle and nerve.
Anti-wrinkle injections treat dynamic wrinkles that develop because of facial expressions. The injection makes the muscle relax so that wrinkles are smoothed out. When the chemical is precisely injected by a skilled consultant dermatologist, anti-wrinkle injections are an effective non-surgical way to reduce the signs of ageing.
What can anti-wrinkle injections treat?
Sun damage, stress, and a life-time of laughing and frowning may leave creases and wrinkles that can make you look tired, grumpy or old. Anti-wrinkle injections can relax frown lines on the forehead, smooth ‘number eleven’ wrinkles between the brows, and iron out crows’ feet to make you look younger, fresher and more rested.
The injections have temporary effects, lasting three to four months. You may want them to look great for a special event, or choose regular injections to maintain a youthful appearance and prevent new wrinkles forming.
Recovery from anti-wrinkle injections
After your treatment you can get straight back to work and normal activities, but try and avoid strenuous exercise and alcohol for the first twenty-four hours.
You may notice bruising or a few bumps, but these are usually minor and easy to conceal. Try not to rub or massage your face, you risk moving the chemical around. Apply cold packs to the injection sites to reduce swelling and bruising.
The effects of the injections are not immediate. It can take several days to take effect and around two weeks to see the full results. After three weeks, The Medical Chambers Kensington will give you a follow-up appointment where we will examine you and check that you’re happy with your appearance. We may carry out further injections to achieve the very-best final results.
Anti-wrinkle injections are temporary, following treatment the effects fade gradually over three to four months.
Why choose The Medical Chambers Kensington for anti-wrinkle injections?
The Medical Chambers provides professional, safe and effective care in a state-of-the-art Kensington Clinic.
- Consultant-delivered service: All patients attending the clinic for anti-wrinkle injections will see a highly-qualified consultant cosmetic dermatologist with extensive knowledge, experience and skills.
- Treatment you can trust: Our Consultants use the highest quality injectable botulinum toxin, a product that has been safely and successfully used for many decades.
- Legacy: Over ten years The Medical Chambers Kensington has built a reputation for excellence and the highest standards of service and professionalism.
- Comprehensive care: With a team of world-leading consultants from different specialties under one roof, if you need to see another specialist we can arrange for rapid referral to a trusted expert.
- Bespoke treatment programmes: The Medical Chambers Kensington believes in an individual approach to skincare. We will carefully assess your skin and your goals before recommending injections to enhance your natural beauty.
What to expect from anti-wrinkle injections
You don’t need anaesthetic, but numbing cream and ice packs are available if you’re worried about pain.
Your consultant will ask you to tense selected facial muscles so that she can precisely target the microinjections. They will then inject the chemical to reduce muscle movement and treat wrinkles.
The procedure lasts up to fifteen minutes, depending on the number of treatment areas.
Preparation for anti-wrinkle injections
Preparation before anti-wrinkle injections can reduce bruising and improve your recovery. We recommend that you:
- Avoid alcohol for a day before treatment.
- Postpone treatment if you are going to be on your period, it can be more painful.
- Talk to your Consultant or your GP about medication. Aspirin, ibuprofen and some herbal medicines can increase your risk of bleeding and bruising. If possible, you should stop them one week before treatment.
What are the complications of anti-wrinkle injections?
The injections are generally safe and there are few side-effects. You may notice:
- Bruising or swelling.
- Rarely brow or forehead injections can make the eyelid droop, or can make the brow look heavy and immobile. The effects are temporary and will gradually wear-off. Follow up treatment can help balance a heavy brow and improve your appearance.
- Some people who have had repeated anti-wrinkle injections develop antibodies that stop the chemical working.
- Very rarely patients are allergic to the toxin. The Medical Chambers Kensington has emergency equipment and medication to treat any adverse reactions quickly and effectively.